About Me

I recently started couponing on January 1, 2011 as a New Year's Resolution. I had never really couponed before because it always seemed time consuming- "how could a 25 cent coupon REALLY save you money?" I thought. Plus, I have never really stuck to a New Year's Resolution. So this year I decided to make a change- I would stick to both! And I have. So far I have cut our weekly grocery budget 70%! We used to spend $150 a week on little things that we could not even make a meal out of AND then we would eat out on top of that! Thousands wasted over a year. Now I spend on average $58 a week on groceries and personal items (toilet paper, body wash) AND I stock up on many of these items so I won't need them again for another 6-12 months! These number keeps going down as we begin to live off our stockpile. If you follow my blog, I will teach you some of the ways this newbie couponer has saved lots of money!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

A sweet smelling deal



So typically I will not stock up unless the price is a rock bottom price, and I typically will not go to Walmart (A) because it is always insanely busy, not enough registers, etc. B) they are typically not as coupon friendly as a CVS or Publix and C) their cashiers are normally so slow and confused by coupons). I usually do a Walmart trip once every two months. If a great deal has not struck and I have coupons about to expire, I will use them at Walmart. Walmart's prices do not fluctuate as much as a grocery store's prices do, so I usually wait and see if Publix/CVS/Kroger will have the product cheaper... and if not I will semi-begrudgingly head to Walmart.

This morning I went to Walmart at 6am because I knew it would not be hopping on a rainy Saturday morning at 6am. I mainly went there for the Gain Dryer sheets, but I also wanted some seeds for my garden. This is what I purchased:

4 Box 80 count Gain Dryer Sheets: $3.12, used $3 off coupon= 12 cents each. Saved $12. 

Note: There was a 40 count Gain for a litle bit less money. I believe I would have *pocketed* 30 cents or so (if this Walmart allowed overage- I am not sure if they do), but I did not think it was worth it. Paying 48 cents for 320 dryer sheets and not needing to worry about buying them for the next few years was worth 48 cents to me. Usually I would say buy the smaller count, always get something for free when possible, but in this case for me personally, I went with the larger quantity because the price difference was minimal. 

Renuzit Air Fresheners: I kept seeing this and figured I would try them out while I had a Buy 3 get 3 coupon. This really is not that great of a deal, but with Spring Cleaning, I thought they might be nice to have in the house and try out the product. I was actually shocked at the price at Walmart- 94 cents each! I have seen these as low as 70 cents at CVS. Ah, well. I just went ahead and bought them since I was there and it was still an ok deal. Paid $5.64 , saved $5.64, so paid 47 cents for each one. Unless I love these lil buggers, I probably won't pay that much for them again since I can get 4lbs of dog food for that price! :)

McCormick Seasonings: On sale for $2.12, used $1 off coupon, purchased 2. Paid $2.24, saved $2. 

Total: $8.36+ tax
Saved:$28
Percentage Saved: 75%

This was an ok trip, but it is one of the reasons I don't shop at Walmart as much- the deals are not usually WOW! I never walk out of Walmart thinking- that was my best trip ever! There are weeks I can get TONS of groceries for $8. It sounds silly now because a few months ago $8 for all that would have blown me away. Now that I have become a couponer, I like to capitalize on every $1 that I spend. :)

But hey, at least my car smelled AMAZING on the drive home. Between the Gain Dryer Sheets and the Renuzit Air Fresheners, my nose was quite happy. :)

Happy couponing!








1 comment:

  1. Jaclyn,

    I am absolutely loving your blog! I am not sure how hard this would be, but one thing I always wonder when you post is which flyer or source you got the coupon you used from? Would it be too much trouble for you to post that information when you can?

    Keep up the good work! I have had some 60% saved deals so far and I'm working on getting better!

    ~Beth Yarbrough

    ReplyDelete