About Me

I recently started couponing on January 1, 2011 as a New Year's Resolution. I had never really couponed before because it always seemed time consuming- "how could a 25 cent coupon REALLY save you money?" I thought. Plus, I have never really stuck to a New Year's Resolution. So this year I decided to make a change- I would stick to both! And I have. So far I have cut our weekly grocery budget 70%! We used to spend $150 a week on little things that we could not even make a meal out of AND then we would eat out on top of that! Thousands wasted over a year. Now I spend on average $58 a week on groceries and personal items (toilet paper, body wash) AND I stock up on many of these items so I won't need them again for another 6-12 months! These number keeps going down as we begin to live off our stockpile. If you follow my blog, I will teach you some of the ways this newbie couponer has saved lots of money!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kibble, Cookies and Advil, Oh My!


This was a slow week at Publix for me, but there is a great deal that started today on Kibble! 

Here's how I did this deal:

Kibbles N' Bits 4LB bag: $4.99, BOGO for $2.50. Used $2 off coupon from Red Plum 2.20. Paid 50 cents a bag, saved $4.50 a bag!

TIP: Even when coupons in the circulars seem lame, still get at least 2 newspapers. The week of February 20th the Sunday paper was weak on coupons; had I NOT bought the paper I would have missed out on these great $2 off coupons. How can you pass up paying 50 cents a bag for dog food? And I thought my $1 for 3.5 lbs of Pedigree last week at Kroger was good... :)

Pecan Cookies: FREE! Saved $2.59. This was the Publix Penny Item today.

Advil: $4.30, on sale for $2.99. Used $2 off coupon from Kroger. Paid 99 cents, saved $3.30.

TIP: Use competitor coupons at stores that allow them. Just call ahead and see who they consider a competitor. My Publix considers Walmart, Target, Kroger, etc. competitors but not Walgreens, CVS, etc. Each store may have a different competitor so just ask.

TIP: If you do not have the $2 off Advil catalina that printed out from the Mega sale if you purchased medicine, there are $1 off Advils in the Sunday paper circulars from a couple weeks back.  Just check Coupon Mom to see where the Advil coupons are.

TIP: Check the Advil boxes for count size. The box I had was actually 24 count (coupon was good for 16+ count) but this box had a note saying 12 FREE, so I was able to get 36 count instead of 24! There were tons of boxes for just 24 count (and only a few with the +12 free!), so look for those that have extras thrown in there for marketing.

Total: $2.49+ tax
Saved: $19.35
Percentage Saved: 85%
Total Items: 5
Price Per Item: ~49 cents





Above the my receipt if you are new to couponing to see how everything prints out on the receipt and what to look for to double check your coupons and prices. 


Happy couponing!






1 comment:

  1. I think it's funny... my big weeks at Publix and yours are opposite! I spent $49 and saved $90, but noticed an error on my receipt (didn't give me the BOGO price on my Ritz) so I'll be going back in the morning to get $8 back!
    I stocked up on Kraft shredded cheese for like 50 cents/bag!!!

    ReplyDelete