About Me

I recently started couponing on January 1, 2011 as a New Year's Resolution. I had never really couponed before because it always seemed time consuming- "how could a 25 cent coupon REALLY save you money?" I thought. Plus, I have never really stuck to a New Year's Resolution. So this year I decided to make a change- I would stick to both! And I have. So far I have cut our weekly grocery budget 70%! We used to spend $150 a week on little things that we could not even make a meal out of AND then we would eat out on top of that! Thousands wasted over a year. Now I spend on average $58 a week on groceries and personal items (toilet paper, body wash) AND I stock up on many of these items so I won't need them again for another 6-12 months! These number keeps going down as we begin to live off our stockpile. If you follow my blog, I will teach you some of the ways this newbie couponer has saved lots of money!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How I snag FREE items (and pick up some change along the way), how YOU can snag FREE items!

  • (6) Propel Waters
  • (2) Healthy Weight Green Giant Frozen Vegetables
  • (2) Mueller's Whole Wheat Pasta
  • (2) Vigo Yellow Spanish Rice
  • (1) 24 count small dog Dentastix Pedigree
  • (1) Sirloin Steak
  • (2) Bags Pepperidge Farm Crackers
  • (1) Publix Fat Free Italian Dressing
  • (1) New England French Vanilla Coffee
----
Total Items: 18

And...11 of the 18 items were FREE!!!

Propel Water- Sale 2 for $1, used a coupon from the Sunday paper for $1 off 2 bottles - FREE

TIP: These coupons were from the newspaper circular weeks ago. Always save your coupons! I normally would not buy $1 water, but when it goes on sale for 50 cents and I have $1 off two...I will buy free water. :)

Italian Salad Dressing- Publix Penny Item- FREE

TIP: Publix has a Penny Item every Wednesday. Find out if your chain has something similar or discounts a certain day.

Rice- $1.29, BOGO for 64 cents, used 50 cents off printable which Publix doubles, FREE + made 70 cents to use for the rest of my purchase

Mueller's Pasta- $1.49, BOGO for 74 cents, used $1/box printable coupon, FREE+made 26 cents a box.

TIP: If an item is free AND you can make money off it to deduct from your purchase, get it! If you can not/will not use the product, donate it to a local food pantry or friends.

Crackers- $3.49, BOGO for $1.75; used $1 printable. 75 cents/bag.

New England Coffee- $6.39, BOGO for $3.19, used $1 off printable coupon. $2.19

TIP: Coffee is expensive. And with food prices rising, the coffee price per pound is rising steadily. Stock up on coffee at around $2 or less if possible and freeze unopened bags until you are ready. I currently have a couple bags in my freezer. 

Pedigree Dentistix- $3.79, BOGO $1.90, used $1 off. 90 cents. Note: These were from the sale last week; I used last weeks raincheck mentioned in a previous blog entry to get these.

TIP: Normally I do not spoil my dogs with treats, but at 3 cents a dental stick, I had to! Check the ads for great dog/cat treats frequently. You can usually find great coupons and sales for food and treats. For food you may have to buy 3.5 lb. bags and buy more of them to get a good deal. 

Green Giant Vegetables- $1.79, BOGO 89 cents, used 50 cents off (the coupon said do not double), 30 cents/bag. 

Sirloin Steak: Sale for $2.89 

TIP: When you see meat on sale- stock up! Just pop it in the freezer. This was a great price for two nice sirloin steaks. They will grill up great!

TOTAL: $7.02+tax
Saved: $29.94
Percentage Saved: 78%

This sale is going on at Publix until next Wednesday so hurry in! If you do not have a coupon inventory built up, no worries! Everything I purchased except the Propel was actually a printable coupon this week! Just head to southernsavers.com to find your printables for this weeks items. 

Happy couponing!

No comments:

Post a Comment