About Me

I recently started couponing on January 1, 2011 as a New Year's Resolution. I had never really couponed before because it always seemed time consuming- "how could a 25 cent coupon REALLY save you money?" I thought. Plus, I have never really stuck to a New Year's Resolution. So this year I decided to make a change- I would stick to both! And I have. So far I have cut our weekly grocery budget 70%! We used to spend $150 a week on little things that we could not even make a meal out of AND then we would eat out on top of that! Thousands wasted over a year. Now I spend on average $58 a week on groceries and personal items (toilet paper, body wash) AND I stock up on many of these items so I won't need them again for another 6-12 months! These number keeps going down as we begin to live off our stockpile. If you follow my blog, I will teach you some of the ways this newbie couponer has saved lots of money!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The chicken that just keeps on giving!



Two of my passions are saving money and eating healthy. This is why the whole chicken is one of my favorites to buy at the store! Buying a whole chicken will save you money and it can be healthier! These two birds are the all natural, no antibiotic, no preservatives, cage free etc. kind so I like to get them on sale when possible. And $2.92 for a chicken is not too bad! 


Right now my chicken is simmering on high for 4 hours in my crockpot. I sprinkled some of my McCormick seasoning (that I got for $1 using coupons) with some paprika and then added a little bit of Progresso Chicken Stock (free at Publix weeks ago! and just grabbed it out of my stockpile). I added a Bay Leaf (that I bought at the Health Food store in bulk- about 30 bay leaves for $1.50) and in a few hours we will have a nicely cooked whole chicken! I usually roast a chicken for dinner when I get home, but this is wonderful if you are gone all day (cook on low for 8+ hours) or just do not want to mess with it.

The beauty of the whole chicken is that will continue to feed your family for awhile!

Once we have finished eating some of the chicken for lunch, we will carve off the rest of the meat. We then use the meat for chicken salad to put in a sandwich or to top our salad with. Then I keep the remaining chicken bones in the crockpot to make chicken stock! Just add some water to the bones, simmer for 5-8 hours, and Voila! homemade healthy Chicken stock! And this makes for easy cleanup when you cook your chicken and your stock in the same pot.

TIP: If you have a smaller chicken, freeze the bones to use once you get more chicken bones, and make chicken stock with 2-3 whole chicken bones to get a more flavorful chicken stock. Using bones from one chicken makes nice stock for cooking but if you want it to be more flavorful for soups then add more bones.

So for $2.92 I am able to feed us a nice roast for lunch/dinner, chicken salad for lunch and then use chicken stock for homemade chicken noodle soup or to cook with! Tasty, healthy, easy and cheap!

Happy couponing!

No comments:

Post a Comment