About Me

I recently started couponing on January 1, 2011 as a New Year's Resolution. I had never really couponed before because it always seemed time consuming- "how could a 25 cent coupon REALLY save you money?" I thought. Plus, I have never really stuck to a New Year's Resolution. So this year I decided to make a change- I would stick to both! And I have. So far I have cut our weekly grocery budget 70%! We used to spend $150 a week on little things that we could not even make a meal out of AND then we would eat out on top of that! Thousands wasted over a year. Now I spend on average $58 a week on groceries and personal items (toilet paper, body wash) AND I stock up on many of these items so I won't need them again for another 6-12 months! These number keeps going down as we begin to live off our stockpile. If you follow my blog, I will teach you some of the ways this newbie couponer has saved lots of money!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ah, the value of a raincheck!


I posted this deal a few weeks ago and I finally got to actually do the deal myself! This deal shows the awesome value of rainchecks- an important part of couponing that most people don't know about!

Raincheck- If a store is out of stock of a sale priced item, get them to write you a raincheck. Then when the item is in stock you get the sale price using your raincheck.

Lots of places have rainchecks- Kroger, Publix, CVS, etc. Just check with customer service.

So this is Clean N Clears new body wash. It was on sale a couple weeks ago for $2.99, regular price $5.89. I had (4) BOGO (buy one get one) Clean N' Clear body wash coupons from the Sunday paper and (4) $2 off Clean N' Clear body wash coupons that I posted the link to. 

Here is how the deal played out:

  • (8) Body Washes priced $5.89 =$46.88
  • Used Raincheck good for (8) at sale price $2.99 = $23.92
  • Used (4) BOGO coupons= Minus $2.99*4= $12 savings
  • Used (4) $2 off printable coupons = Minus $8 in savings
  • Used $3 ECB coupon from CVS

TIP: I had 8 items so I could use 8 coupons.

TOTAL: 96 cents+tax
Price per item: 12 cents
Percentage saved: 98% without tax (93% with tax)

96 cents without coupons would have paid for...not even ONE bottle of body wash! :)

Also, you see a toothbrush in here. It was on sale for $2.99 and you get $1 in ECB back for buying it. I had a $2 off that toothbrush coupon from the PG mailer and $1 in ECB, so the toothbrush was FREE and I got $1 back in ECB towards my next purchase! Money maker. :)

Happy couponing!

1 comment:

  1. So when you do a raincheck do you tell them you want to buy 8? Or how does that work?

    ReplyDelete